Not Yet Supported ABL Features¶
As a general rule, far more is implemented already than is not implemented. For details on what is implemented already, please see Supported ABL Features.
If your application relies upon something in this (currently) unsupported list, please see this.
Most features in FWD v4.0.0 are from OpenEdge 11.7 or earlier. A few features from OpenEdge 12 are available including some of the built-in OO class support, but most support is for 11.7 and older. This document is a summary of the ABL features needing work.
The parser is more complete than the rest of the downstream conversion and the runtime. Although there may be some v11/v12 features/keywords missing, nearly everything will parse today. This allows you to run reports and do a gap analysis on the results.
- Not Yet Supported ABL Features
Very little is missing from the FWD preprocessor. See Preprocessor Unsupported Features for the details.
There are some obscure items that are still open. You can look in
com/goldencode/p2j/uast/progress.g and search on the word
- Object Oriented ABL and structured error handling
- 95% complete in FWD v4 (see #4373 for the open items)
- Built-in OO classes are partial, see Supported Built-in OO 4GL Classes
- dynamic range extent index clause support ([expr FOR 5]) where the expr is not a numeric literal (the common case already works)
- FWD v4 has 90% support for authentication domains, security policy and client principals.
- FWD v4 has 75% support for internationalization (I18N). See #4761 for the remaining items.
- logging support (will be implemented in #3853)
- auditing support (will be implemented in #6420 and #6422)
- Some CONNECT options are missing.
- SSL sockets
- web services
- Not all OpenEdge command line parameters are supported or have meaning in FWD.
- PASCAL calling convention support for DLL calls (all other native DLL/shared object calls are fully supported)
- Host Language Call support (CALL stmt)
- direct .NET class usage
- .NET access to converted appserver, must be a simple replacement for the “Open .NET Client”
- system handles
- COMPILER system handle
- DEBUGGER system handle
- RCODE-INFO system handle
Miscellaneous UI Features (affects both ChUI and GUI)¶
There are some methods, attributes and frame/widget/browse options which are missing. A more detailed list is TBD.
- menus are functional but need some bugs cleared (see #3553 and the issues marked related)
- CHOOSE statement field mode cursor navigation has some deviations from the ABL behavior
- slider is not implemented in the runtime
- mouse events
- color support in the WIN32 console
- Some Active-X/OCX controls don't yet have replacements (see 4GL Enhancements for a list of the supported replacements).
- .NET integration
- Windows help support is implemented using a 3rd party conversion tool to create HTML pages.
- Windows printer support and the LANDSCAPE option for OUTPUT TO
- Windows system dialogs (these are 90% functional in FWD v4)
- The following work well in ChUI but are not enabled in GUI yet:
- DOWN frames
- CHOOSE, COLOR and PUT SCREEN
- redirecting to the terminal
- Some attributes and methods for PRODATASETs, queries, temp-tables and buffers are missing, but 95% of the features are there in FWD v4.
- RAW-TRANSFER statement binary serialization is not compatible with OpenEdge.
- schema metadata support is partial (most is missing, but the most commonly used support is there)
- stored procedures
- two-phase commit
- SpeedScript code can parse but cannot convert or run.
- Much of the core web handler support exists and works in FWD v4, but the traditional WebSpeed approaches are not functional yet (CGI Wrapper, Embedded HTML, HTML Mapping).
© 2004-2022 Golden Code Development Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.